Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What Works and What Doesn't Work

Sometimes, even the best laid plans turn into a pile of doo-doo! Okay, not necessarily doo-doo; it is just a figure of speech after all. I'm always amazed where the writing process takes me. There are times, as mentioned in previous posts, where the words flow so easily it is scary. There are other times (the majority, I sometimes think) where the words are just a bit sluggish and need some definite coaxing. This current project has been a mix of both. There was just something not working about the current project. I ignored - always a foolish thing to do - my instinct and just kept writing. Perhaps I should have paid a bit more attention to that nagging voice (your hair's too long, you're not wearing that to school, eat your brussel sprouts - oh, wait, sorry, momentary flashback to childhood - hate it when that happens!) that kept telling me that something was wrong.

I finally listened to that voice. Well, not technically, but I did have a moment of inspiration while driving to Borders to pick up A Lion Among Men by Gregory Maguire. Do you know how hard it is too write legibly while driving down the road? Okay, neither do I, since I waited until I parked my car to jot down the notes of brilliance that will transform my current project. Yes, a little bit of confidence thrown out there just for good measure. I am famous (at least in my own deluded world) for jotting down notes at every stop sign and red light on the way to/from work. I can't help where inspiration will strike me. I could wish for inspiration to happen only when it's convenient for me; but I don't think that's going to happen anytime in the near future. I'll take what I can get.

So, now that I've digressed like Sophia Petrillo (and if you have no clue who she is, then you're definitely missing something in life - google, google, and google some more), I finally realized where I was going wrong with this project. I will correct those wrongs over the course of the next few nights. In the end, some clever reworking on my part will solve my dilemma and let the brilliance (no, I've not been drinking, it's definitely too early in the day for wine) shine through in the best way I know how.

As I said with my very first post with this blog, the blog is all about the writing process. I stumble every now and then, but have been lucky enough not to - splat - fall right on my face. I'll keep you updated on the changes/progress of this current project.

Oh, and if anyone in the Universe cares, I will be curled up on the sofa with the dogs (Jesse & James) reading the first chapter of A Lion Among Men at some point this evening.

S

No comments: