Thursday, October 2, 2008

Perfection

I absolutely love Project Runway. It's just about the only reality show I watch. In the current season on Bravo, they are down to the final four: Kenley, Leann, Jerell, and Korto. In the beginning, I liked Kenley. I think she's a great designer. I'm not so hot on her as a person any longer. The more the show progressed this season, the bitchier she became; to the point that she is now rude and disrespectful . . . to everyone.

I'm all for having confidence in yourself. As a writer, if I don't believe in my work, how can I expect anybody else to believe in my work? I'm not so vain, though, to think that everything I write is perfection. Sometimes, I write some pretty crappy stuff. I admit that I write some pretty crappy stuff at times. It's all a process. Nobody, no matter what they believe, is perfect. Nobody, at least in my humble opinion, creates perfection every time they write or design a dress. Kenley, however, believes that everything she does is perfect and gets highly defensive, and disrespectful, when faced with criticism of her design. There comes a time when any artist - writer, musician, painter, fashion designer, etc. - must step back from their work and face it with a critical eye. If that critical eye does not exist, no matter the artist's confidence level in themselves, then true art does not - in my opinion - exist. I feel that it is only when we recognize the crap we sometimes produce, that we truly grow as artists - writer, in my case.

Is there a point when disrespect is acceptable? Perhaps in the face of harsh criticism? I guess it all depends on the situation. I know Project Runway, like all reality shows, is cleverly edited to present as much drama as possible. Perhaps Kenley is not as rude and disrespectful as I think. All I know, is that such disrespect - even in the face of criticism - is not necessary. I know I don't always handle criticism well, I get defensive; but I do not disrespect the person providing the criticism. I step back from the situation, analyze the criticism, and then - sometimes - think, "hey, that person was right". Perhaps Kenley needs to step back a bit and realize that even the best artist in the world does not always create perfection. In the end, we're only human.

S

No comments: