Thursday, April 30, 2009

Pitch Lines

Yes, I'm obviously still on a roll with posts.

QueryTracker has an excellent post about pitch lines this morning. In addition, an older post on Lady Glamis' blog about layers led me to this site which gave one of the best pieces of advice ever about the pitch sentence: read the one-line blurgs on the New York Times Bestseller list to learn how to do this. Now, if the link doesn't work, just Google "New York Times Bestseller List". Then, click on the book showing and it will take you to the one line blurbs for the current bestsellers. Woo-hoo!

S

3 comments:

Davin Malasarn said...

Being able to write strong pitch lines is a great skill to have. Whether it's in writing or spoken, it's good to be able to summarize your project in a few words, before you lose someone's interest. I'm not sure I can do it with my own book, though. I need to work on it!

Scott said...

Davin - I struggle, greatly, with the pitch line. Reading the blurbs on the NY Times Bestseller list did help . . . somewhat. : )

S

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I have used that Bestseller list before. It's a great help!