Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Going Green . . .

. . . with the editing process. Yes, I decided a while back that I should go green with the editing process. WTH? Really, it's quite simple (so said the first lemming in line as he headed toward the cliff). I just don't print off the pages and pages of my manuscript to read through and edit any longer.

I hate it, I absolutely hate it! I love the feel of paper in hand, the pen poised over the page, and the notes and scratches and scritches as I read through the words that are my brilliance transformed into sentences and paragraphs. SIGH. Double SIGH!

Alas my love . . . for the pen and paper in hand, is not good for the environment. Trees are being felled on a daily basis to feed my addiction to the feel of paper beneath my fingertips. I must resist the urge to deforest the Earth. I must resist all temptation to print out a gazillion pages, toss them into the air, and let them float down to the ground around me while I reach out greedily for each page.

Okay, so I'm really not that obsessive, but I was on a roll and couldn't seem to stop myself.

Basically, I am trying to curb my desire to print and edit. Now, I scroll and scroll and scroll some more, make the changes, make a few notations in BOLD and go on my merry way in the editing process. It's just not the same. There's something missing.

Why am I doing this again? Oh, yeah, that's right, global warming. Dratted hole in the ozone, greenhouse gasses, and melting icecaps. If not for you, I could revel in the feel of paper beneath my fingertips and listen to the scritch-scritch-scritching of the pen on paper as I make notes. Now, I just hear the clackity-clackity-click of the keys on the computer as I edit in a green world.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for saving the environment and doing what I can to reduce my carbon footprint. I just didn't realize how much I would miss the simple process of editing the old fashioned way: pen in one hand and paper resting on my lap or on the desk before me.

S

No comments: