Friday, May 1, 2009

Schoolhouse Rock

For those too young to remember . . . Saturday mornings were not just about cartoons, but also about Schoolhouse Rock. Grammar, Math, History, all became fun with the short little cartoons produced back in the . . . well, sorry, not going there this morning. : )

For whatever reason, I started singing Lolly, Lolly, Lolly get your adverbs here at around 2 AM this morning after the thunderstorm woke me up. I have no clue why. I don't want to know why. The song just got me thinking about Schoolhouse Rock (btw, I own the 30th Anniversary DVD - drat, double drat, I just gave away how many years ago it was), which was a fun way to learn about grammar.

Ah, dear readers, you figured out my train of thought on this post: Grammar. How many out there have at least one, if not two, if not three, books about grammar to help you with your writing? Come on, now, raise your hands. You know you have at least one book someplace handy. I have more than one.

But . . . Schoolhouse Rocks . . . well Rocks! In the interest of it being Friday, and needing something fun this morning . . .

Lolly, Lolly, Lolly get your adverbs here . . .

Conjunction Junction, what's your function . . .

A noun is a person, place or thing . . .

Got home from camping last spring . . . we unpacked our adjectives . . .

Verb . . .

Preposition . . .

Reginald was home with the flue . . . the doctor cured the infection, with one small injection, while Reginald uttered some interjections . . .

There are so many more out there, just go to YouTube and search Schoolhouse Rock!

Lastly, because I just love this one . . .

I'm just a bill, yes only a bill, and I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill . . .

Have a great Friday and enjoy some of my childhood memories.

S

1 comment:

Davin Malasarn said...

I remember Conjunction Junction! I have grammar books, but I always tend to lose them amidst my garage junk. I love grammar though. In college I got hired as a writing tutor for the English department. As part of the training, we had to take two additional years of straight grammar. Discussions got so complicated that the two teachers would argue with each other about how best to punctuate a sentence.