Monday, May 25, 2009

The Void is - somewhat - gone!

As any reader of this blog knows, I was lost in The Void for just a bit these past few weeks. Try as I might, I couldn't seem to find inspiration for writing. Those moments came to an end yesterday afternoon. Woo-hoo!

Now, Elana is reading my mind again. We're sometimes in sync with each other when we post. Go figure. So, check out her post on inspiration. It is, truly (sorry ahead of time) inspiring. Sorry, I really couldn't resist. It's not my fault, it just happens. I have no control.

But, back to me! Yesterday afternoon I was finishing up reading The Fellowship of the Ring and started thinking about what writing thingy I needed to do next. Finally, I decided to start editing a project. My mind - even as I continued to read - started thinking about what changes the MS needed. So, delete this, add this, keep that, change that, and suddenly my mind began to drift off in other directions. I grabbed the nearby pen and paper and began to jot down notes. I couldn't seem to stop jotting down notes - the rest of the day, before I went to bed, and quite a few times during the day. I came up with the first sentence . . .

"You're not George Bailey and this is NOT It's A Wonderful Life." The note taking continued, I figured out the name of the main character, and I began to write. Yes, I began to write. Woo-hoo!

So, my inspiration came from reading Tolkien and thinking about other topics. I was also (as I mentioned in my comment section to Elana's post) inspired by a neat restaurant I went to that had a very eclectic group of people. I actually thought that the restaurant (and many of the wait staff for that matter) would make an interesting addition to either a past manuscript or a future manuscript . . . and it will.

Personally, I'm grateful for the crazy idea that one sentence is developing into. I'm grateful for going out to dinner with friends on the spur of the moment Saturday night. I'm grateful that I have an active imagination and love to write.

Have a great day.

S

7 comments:

Barb said...

This was fabulous to read. I'm so glad you're feeling good about the writing you're doing. It's such a magic feeling when the muse comes back from where ever she goes.

There was however, something missing from this blog. A word that is normally written in lime green!

Traci said...

So, the gladiator didn't inspire you at all? :-(

Scott said...

Barb - thanks. I'm glad Inspiration has decided to quit toying with my mind. She can be quite hateful when she withholds her magic. : ) What, I forgot to insert the word margarita into my blog post? Oh, no . . . ; )

LitGirl - trust me, the gladiator provided inspiration. I think your gladiator was part of the process that helped push back The Void!

S

Danyelle L. said...

*hugs Tolkien*

Erm. *hugs Tolkien as in books, not as in zombie*

Isn't he great? Your first line had me laughing. It's definitely a keeper. :D

Isn't writing a wonderfully crazy ride? There's so many ups and downs, but like anything else, it's those downs that make the ups feel higher.

*rereads and decides to petition life for more naps*

Scott said...

Danyelle - I'm a Tolkien addict. I even like "The Simarillion". Yes, I admit it, I like that book too!

Writing is a crazy ride and I wouldn't have it any other way, though I could do with less of The Void. : )

I'll sign your petition for naps. I'm all about napping!

S

Elana Johnson said...

I love how you used the words, "writing thingy". That made me snarf out loud, because it sounds exactly like something I would say. ;-)

I'm also glad that you're on the right muse train again! Or at least the muse restaurant.

Scott said...

Elana - snarf? Can I steal that word? I love it. Also, you know the two of us are pretty much in sync . . . way too often. It's kind of freaky.

Train, restaurant, extra margarita . . . as long as I'm inspired, I don't care where it comes from! Snarf? Seriously? I think that's my new favorite word.