Friday, May 29, 2009

Blogoholics Anonymous


Hi, my name is Scott, and I'm a blogoholic! I currently follow 3,265,823.5 blogs. By days end, that number should increase by a few thousand more. It's an addiction. I can't help myself.

Stop! You're moving the cursor toward the comment section. Yes, you!!! Go ahead, click the mouse for . . . you too are a blogoholic.

Sing along with me, to the tune of Beyonce's I'm A Single Lady except the new lyrics are . . . I'm a blogoholic, I'm a blogoholic, I'm a blogoholic!

Sorry, couldn't resist a tad bit of snark this morning. Portions of this post were inspired by Lady Glamis' post about turning it off. Go here to read the post. Her suggestion to - shudder, gasp, OMG what will I do - take a week away from the Internet (insert sound of Scott's head hitting the desk as he passes out from sheer horror) is quite inspiring and . . . FRIGHTENING.

I love the blogsphere. I love the information, the banter in the comments section, the inspiration the blogs provide for me (and hopefully others as well), and the sharing of knowledge. I love the sense of community. Still, the blogsphere has a tendency to overwhelm at times due to the vast resources available within the writing blogsphere.

There are only so many hours in any given day.

Should I be writing the next epic novel instead of following so many blogs? Should I be doing 100 extra crunches rather than commenting here, there, and everywhere . . . in a house with a mouse, in a box with a fox, on a train in the rain (woo-hoo for Green Eggs and Ham)? Should I be interacting with friends/family instead of my fellow bloggers? Well, probably, but what fun is that?

Kidding! Still (yes, repetitive use of that word in this post), my name is Scott and I'm a blogoholic!

There is hope for me, and my fellow bloggers. Go here to Lady Glamis' post and read her outrageous (brilliant, perhaps) suggestion. Take a chance and step away from the blogs . . . but not forever, for you will be missed!

Have a great Friday!

S
p.s. I borrowed the picture off Elana's blog this morning. She and I are far too much in sync lately. The picture was just too coincidental with my post, which I typed up before going to her post, and then had to come back here and add the picture. FREAKY! : )

12 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

Hello Scott. My name is Gumbo Writer... :)

Tess said...

*raising a hand*

Yes, I, too have become a blogaholic.

BUT!! In all our defense - I was researching an editor yesterday (one that my ms was just sent to)and found an interview wherein she was asked the question:

"When you are considering a new author, do you ever google them?"

her answer:

"Always". In fact, she capped it like this: ALWAYS!

So - in addition to learning, meeting fellow writers, having a laugh or two....we are doing something important. We are building our online presence -- it may not sell books, but I am glad to know that if she decides to google me, there will be SOMETHING -- ANYTHING -- to find.

Elana Johnson said...

*clears throat* My name is Elana Johnson and I am a blogaholic. *bows to the clapping and cheering*

One small step for mankind... just kidding! Great post!

And the sync-thing is becoming waaaay freaky. ;-)

Angela Ackerman said...

Are you going to take the challenge? I think I should..but I'm a chicken. I get cold sweats just thinking about no internet--would I be able to do it? Dunno.

Barb said...

I'm not turning it off. I don't have a problem. I can stop anytime.

Scott said...

My responses in order of appearance . . .

Gumbo Writer - welcome!! : )

Tess - isn't there always a defense? I mean, there's always just one more blog to check out . . .though you did provide valid points, which makes our addiction all the worthwhile.

Elana - I'm beginning to worry about the sync thing. I mean, I type up my post, hop over to your blog, and find the perfect picture to go with my post. Very, very scary!

Angela - I think I'm going to step away from the computer on the third Monday of every month. I'm also very good about not blogging, Interneting or checking email on the weekends, so that must count for something. Right?

Barb - the first step to recovery is actually admitting you have a problem, not denying that a problem exists. I'm just saying . . . ; )

S

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Well, you know I'm in on this. It wasn't my brilliant idea, though. It was Bonny's over at B.J. Anderson. She's a genius.

I wish you luck. I'm Michelle. I'm a blogoholic. I always will be. Except for one week out of every month. ;)

Scott said...

Lady Glamis (Michelle) - I knew there was someone else involved, but since I read it on your blog, I linked to yours! I'll be with you at least one or two of those seven days. Just not all. Recovery is a step-by-step process after all!

S

Traci said...

Well...you should join blogoholics anonymous!! :-) It's a 12 step program, and you can drink all the margaritas you want! It's like trading one addiction for another. Highly recommended in bizzaro world!

Cate Gardner said...

Ah blogging - I blog therefore I am. :)

Tara Maya said...

I binge blog.

Then purge.

I have blogging bolemia.

Pen Pen said...

...I think they need to make a blogging patch just like those smoking patches for people like me and you :)
Let's go down the path of destruction together! :)