Thursday, August 6, 2009

Time Away

So, I've been thinking - yes, a scary thought, get over it - about time away . . . from writing. I realized that we all need that time away. We (well, at least me) can't spend 24/7 writing. I'd love to, but with life, it's just not possible.

Sometimes, we just need to step away from the computer, the pen and paper, or the whatever. We need to give our (well, at least mine) frazzled brains a rest. We need to LIVE! Yes, LIVE.

I don't have kids. I do have two cats (Tasmyn and Squeaky), two dogs (Jesse and James, aka the boyz) and a beloved partner (Frank) who worships the quicksand I walk upon. Yes, that's my story, and I'm gonna keep telling it until . . . Anyhow, I have a life beyond writing. There's laundry to do (oh, wait, Frank does the laundry, I guess I can scratch that off my list), dusting, vacuuming (oh, Frank again, scratch off list), litter boxes to scoop, weeding to do, dinner to cook, groceries to buy, bills to pay, blah, blah, and blah, blah, blah!

I can't write 24/7. I'm lucky to find an hour some days. Still, I love to write and wouldn't change this crazy adventure . . . not in a million years, or for a gazillion dollars. Writing is in my blood. It's what I do!

I've learned not to let life get me down when I can't write. Sometimes, I play Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook. Sometimes, I go to Farmtown (also on Facebook) and spend time plotting and planning my growing farm. I make checkerboard patterns out of my crops. I put up stone fences, hedges, trees and flowers. I move my farmhouse from place to place. Sometimes, I take time for myself to read, or maybe just sit outside with the boyz. I shouldn't feel guilty about doing these things.

I normally don't. Then again, I was raised Catholic, so guilt is an inherent part of my nature. Still, I know that, every now and then, I need time away from my writing. I need to sit back and relax, let the old (well, not really old - 40 is the new 30 after all) brain cells relax a bit before I jump back into the chaos of my hyperactive imagination. You see, there's this woman, and 32 years ago she walked out on her husband after finding him doing the big nasty with her sister. Well, you can glimpse just a bit of the depravity lurking in the vastness of my mind.

So, yes, I'll take time away every now and then, but I'll be back. My imagination wouldn't have it any other way.

So, my advice, dear fellow bloggers, is step away from the computer, the pen and paper, or whatever, and enjoy life for just a bit. Set your guilt aside that you're playing Bejeweled Blitz (this means you, Marybeth and Elana . . . oh, and me too) or harvesting virtual crops in Farmtown (me, me, me) or just vegging on the couch doing absolutely nothing. The words are still in your mind, the many characters as well, just waiting for the next moment to leap forth into brilliant life once you sit down to write. Take some time away for you, so your characters and the worlds you create, come out fresh!

S

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah I'm taking a kinda unofficial break from writing to play Bejeweled...I mean live life myself.

Elana Johnson said...

Dude, I've heard of Farmtown. I'm all over that; I used to rule at Simfarm.

But you're right. We have lives outside of the ones we create for our characters. And sometimes that's hard to remember.

B.J. Anderson said...

Yeah, sometimes time away is the best way to get the creative juices flowing. Have a good break, and we'll see you soon!

Scott said...

First - I'm not taking 'time away', but I did that last week, and feel totally motivated towards my writing this week. Woo-hoo. I just noticed a bunch of posts lately about people taking 'time away' and thought I'd do a post about it. : )

Marybeth - are you going into withdrawl since BB is down . . . again!

Elana - I never could get into the whole Sim fad, but I love Farmtown!! I think I'm about to reach the pinnacle of my obsession. Note to self: find something new to obsess over!

S

Tess said...

Good advice...wish I wasn't pressed against a deadline and could take it. I'd love to spend these last few summer days feeling a little more relaxed. Ah well, there's always fall...

Rebecca Knight said...

It's so true! I was actually getting angry at my manuscript for taking so long to be revised. Then I went on vacation. And now we're friends again :). I feel very revitalized and ready to get to work!

Great post, Scott!

Robyn Campbell said...

Time away? *she pumps fists* We can do that?:) Sounds like just what the doctor ordered. Hey, come to NC and you can be on this REAL farm. I'll give you some jobs to do. We'll start with cleaning the chicken coup. :) Then take the stuff you just cleaned out of the coup and spread it on the gardens. Oh and there's horse poop to pick out of the pasture and stalls. I'm tellin' you, where would I be without all this poop? Take your time off and be refreshed my friend. Oh and help poor Frank out some. Okay? :)

Michelle McLean said...

wonderful post, and I couldn't agree more. Sometimes you just need to take a little time to recharge the batteries. Everything, including your creative muse and love of writing, can burn out if it never gets a break. LOL of course, my head knows that, but that pesky guilt comes along no matter what I tell myself. Luckily, I'm getting better at ignoring it ;-D