Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Questions About Success

I'm going to borrow some questions from Rebecca Knight today. She wrote a wonderful post about measuring success. You can read it here and also see the answers to her own questions!

Her questions (and my answer in italics) were . . .

1) Why am I writing?

I write because I love to write. Yeah, there are aspects I don't love that much, but overall, it's an incredible journey that I absolutely enjoy.

2) How long do I want to do this, even if I never get any credit or money from my work?

As long as I can.

3) How much rejection can I take?

Bring it on!! I have faith in myself and my abilities.

4) How much time do I want to spend on my goals, versus with my family, friends, and pillow?

As much time as I can. Life is about balance, whether it's a career as a lawyer, doctor, writer, garbage collector, or whatever. Careers take people away from their friends and family. We just have to balance our lives so that we hold onto our dreams, and our friends and family as well.

5) What do I want to achieve Big Picture?

I'm not sure. Would I love to be so successful to be able to write full time? Well, yeah, kind of, but not really. You see, I'm not an everyday writer. I write when I write, and when I don't, I don't. It's just what works for me.

6) Will I be satisfied when I get there?

Probably not. I mean, are humans ever truly satisfied? Don't we have a burning desire to succeed again and again and again . . .

7) Am I satisfied if I never get there?

Yes! I love to write. I write for me first, and the world second. I write to explore the depths of my imagination, the chaos of my mind, and the depravity that - sometimes - lurks just beneath the surface.

8) What steps do I have to take to achieve that Big Picture thing?

Write, write, write, write, write, follow blogs, write, write, write, follow more blogs, write, write, write . . .hone my craft to the ultimate pinnacle of near perfection, write, write, write!

9) Which one needs to be achieved first?

Well, writing of course. The best thing a writer can do is write, write, write. Learn the craft.

10) What is my support system?

In no particular order . . . Frank, Jon, and Suzi! Frank is there for me, day after day, in this crazy journey of writing and life. Ditto for Jon and Suzi. These three people are some of the kindred (woo-hoo Anne of Green Gables) spirits who have entered my life, and are the most important ones, in my life. Without them . . . well, I can't imagine my life without these three.

11) How will I feel if I never achieve this?

I'm not sure. I mean, I'm not part of the Psychic Friends Network. I don't know how I'll feel if I never achieve this. I mean, I love to write. Enough Written!

12) Is it worth trying anyway?

YES! YES! YES!

So, go check out Rebecca's post and answer these same questions yourself. Post them on your blog and let your followers know just a bit more about you!

Have a great day.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Well put! I might use this on my website if you don't mind. (Well with my own answers of course)

Although I do have to say...I can't handle writing getting in the way of my pillow time! LOL

Scott said...

Marybeth - I borrowed this from Rebecca. I think as long as you give her credit, maybe a linkity-link to her blog, you're just fine borrowing the questions. I mean, I didn't ask permission, just sort of did it, though I did leave a comment on her blog tellng her I did it. What's the phrase - act first, apologize later??? : )

S

Angie Ledbetter said...

Good stuff. Sounds like you've got your head screwed on right. :)

Rebecca Knight said...

Borrow away, everyone! I love that you're sharing, Scott :D. You rock!

(btw, I LOVE Anne of Green Gables!)

Scott said...

Rebecca - Anne of Green Gables is one of my absolutely favorite books, and movies. I just love Megan Follows and Colleen Dewhurst. I laugh/cry every time I read the book or watch the movie.

B.J. Anderson said...

Great answers, Scott. They really show your dedication to what you love to do. Which is writing, of course!!

Elana Johnson said...

She did have some great questions. And your answers mean you're totally going to make it.