Initially, they had a short deadline, on the rough draft, because I was going to enter a contest. Well, in the meantime, I decided not to enter the contest.
Well, my cozy mystery, rough draft, came in at about 65,000 words. The word count for cozy mysteries is between 60,000 and 70,000 words. Yep, I was right there in the middle and ended up with about 286 pages.
Oh, wait, the contest only wants 220 pages which meant I would have to eliminate 60 pages.
Well, when I mentioned this to my beta readers there was a collective: Noooooooooo!
Well, talk about a consensus on that subject.
Okay, I'd pretty much decided the same thing, but I did pose the question just to be on the safe side.
Yes, as I go through the edit process, I'll eliminate pages. I just don't see where I can eliminate 60 pages. In fact, one of my readers made the following comment: every page is pertinent and fun!
So, the idea of entering the contest, well, bit the dust. I really wanted to enter the contest.
But . . . to do so would have meant eliminating far too many pages that, at least in my opinion, would hurt the integrity of the novel.
So, my focus now is creating the best manuscript possible so I can query after the first of the year. I've written the query - needs work, I'll be emailing Elana at some point - and plan on working on the synopsis as well over the course of the next couple of months.
Lastly - my beta readers rock. They don't always agree with each other, and sometimes they do:
- one was distracted by a subplot, while another one loved the subplot.
- three agreed that I needed to begin on Page 8, and one said that my initial beginning was fine.
- they all wanted more!
On that note, done for blogging . . . at least for today. Ha!