Sunday, September 28, 2008

Writing in My Mind

Do you realize that a lot of the writing I do occurs solely in my mind? I kid you not. I never know when/where inspiration will strike. I keep notepads throughout the house, in my car, and on my desk at work. A lot of times I jot things down, but sometimes, I just write them in my mind and - hope beyond hope - that I'll remember them later.

When I'm working on a project, I'm thinking about it constantly. I might be reading a book, yet thoughts of the project are in the back of my mind. Every now and then, a thought leaps to the forefront and I quit reading so I can concentrate on the thought. Many times, I'll stop and jot down notes. This morning, I just let the thoughts free-form, coalesce, and gel into some type of coherence. I continued to read. I continued to think at the same time. Multitasking at it's best or - possibly - worst. Whatever the case, this morning helped clarify where I was going with the new project - the chapter formats and how to change things up, while still keeping the integrity there, of other projects. In the end, if something works, keep doing it. In the end, I like a little bit of diversity in both my life and writing style. The changes to the format of this project, from the project I am currently searching for an agent, are minimal, but enough to stand out.

What I Did Today:
  • Started/finished Chapter Six
  • Started/finished Chapter Seven
  • Total Words = 10,983

If any one's keeping track - I've been working on the project for 4 days. At 2,000 words per day, I needed to have 8,000 words by the end of today. I'm obviously ahead of schedule. I may or may not be done writing for the day. Right now, I need to go iron shirts to wear to work this week.

S

No comments: