Saturday, September 27, 2008

What I Did Today

Saturday and Sunday are often intensive writing days. Today, not so much. I still did something, though, and something counts in the grand scheme of things.

Today I . . .
  • Started/Finished Chapter 4 & 5
  • Total Word Count = 7,774

My normal daily goal when doing the rough draft is 2,000 words. I met that goal today. I normally plan for the rough draft to equal a minimum of 50,000 words, and a maximum of 60,000. At 2,000 words per day x 30 days (did I mention I normally try to write the rough draft in one month's time??) = 60,000 words. What does this mean? It means that, with some effort, and catch up on the weekends (perhaps 5,000 words per day on the weekend to make up for any shortfalls during the week - life happens, you have to cook dinner for your partner, go out for margaritas with friends, take the dogs for a run, ET phone home, etc.) a person can write a rough draft in a month. I learned this nifty trick by participating in National Novel Writing Month - it happens every November. Google it and do it, just once. It was definitely a learning experience for me and taught me that a rough draft is possible in 30 days!

S

No comments: