Friday, August 6, 2010

Chapter Titles

As I might have mentioned, I love my Table of Contents. I love staring at all the chapters, the fruits - so to speak - of my labor.

Now, Scott Bailey posted some chapter titles from his current WiP, so I figured, why not do the same.

Yes, Robyn, I'm stealing ideas from somebody. No, not stealing, just borrowing a bit of genius.

Now, here are some of the titles in random order
  • The Bitch of Belle Meade
  • Dinner with Mumsy
  • The Married Detective
  • Sensory Overload
  • The Moral Soapbox of the Hopelessly Deluded
  • Afternoon Tea with a Crazy Man
  • The Pink Pigeon
  • Detective Abworks Loses His Patience
  • Not the Cleverest Idea in the Universe
  • Pandora's in a Mood
  • Confession is Good for the Soul
  • It's Raining Men

Now, in chronological order, at a glance, at least to me, the chapter titles tell something about the story. Heck, even out of order, at least to me, the chapters tell a story.

2 comments:

Stina said...

Two things I never read at the beginning of a chapter: titles and quotes. Like prologues, they're usually unnecessary.

Scott said...

Stina - I always read the quotes and/or chapter titles. I'm crazy like that sometimes. For me, the titles are, at this point in the MS, more a map showing me the plot points from beginning to end. By the final draft, the titles may still be there, or they may disappear. : )